Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First Day of School

Ready for school!?!

What a crew!

I can't believe it! Today is the first day of school. Already! The summer seemed to fly by so fast.I think we had a spectacular summer in the Olson house this year. Boy scout camps, LTC trip, Todd's tri, and the Wash. DC vacation. Good times. Well, now on to the next phase...school. If you know anything about our family, you can guess that some of us are excited and some are not. There are a few different things going on this year. First of all, I am stoked to say that I am now officially a part-time employee. I have been working full time at my job as a lab tech at an oncology office for the last 4 years, since I left the hospital lab. While I love my job, co-workers & patients, I really need to be home for the kids more. That magical time from after school until mom gets home from work had not been a really productive time the last couple of years. Yeah. like nothing gets accomplished. So I decided our tribe needed a bit more structure. So now I will be home on most days that Todd works. The kids are fired up too. What a blessing that we are able to make this choice during this economy! My hubby is a rock star. Oh, and he DID hint that I could iron his work shirts for him now...if I wanted to:)


So the kids. Alex is the big adjustment this year. He is starting 10Th grade and in High School! I can't believe that my baby(yes, he will be embarrassed by this) is a sophomore. I feel a bit old. Alex is not particularly interested in change or school for that matter, so his day started with a bit of nerves and a bit of dread. But he is tough enough to deal with it. He went earlier in the week and found his way around the school (it is huge!) so I think he will do great as long as he remembers to smile. Ethan is going to 7Th grade & big dog @ Middle School. He is fired up to go & left a half hour early to socialize I assume. As long as he tends to his homework, he will be great, even if he has to play percussion in band again this year( he tried hard to get us to let him drop). Abby is going to 3rd grade this year. Her school starts 30 min before her brothers, so she is going to & from on her own with friends. A little bit of independence. She is worried because some of her friends had to switch schools, but I know she will meet some old & new friends today. She told me she had to find a boyfriend soon.(!?!) I told her that would take care of itself, but inside I was freaking out. Thank goodness her idea of a boyfriend is someone to dig in the dirt with at recess still. But for how long??


Anyway, new routines abound. We should be able to get organized in a week or so(dream on, right?)



No comments:

Post a Comment